Thursday, December 3, 2009

Medical Writing Course at Concordia

Concordia University in Montreal is once again offering a medical writing course this winter. The course is online and starts the week of January 11th and runs for ten weeks. You have until Monday December 7th to fax or mail in your registration (Maddeningly, registration via the Internet is not yet available.), after which you'll have to drop it off in person downtown. The course only runs if there are enough people registered by the end of next week. I should be teaching it, but Concordia does not confirm with me until later this month. (The joys of being sessional!)

CEJN 132N Medical Writing: Promotional and Continuing Health Education
In this on-line course, students will learn how to access, evaluate and use information on medical topics in order to start writing for the pharmaceutical industry. Topics covered include pharmaceutical advertising and copywriting, medical education, patient education, writing for the web, multimedia and newsletters. (Note: Medical Writing I CEJN 130 is NOT a prerequisite for this course. (Cost: $255 CDN)

Registration form and instructions are here.
Complete course calendar is here.

Any questions? Leave me a comment or drop me an email.

::EDIT:: Since this is an online course, there are isn't a fixed class time. I usually do a a few online chats for Q&A through the system used for the online course. These will probably alternate between Tuesday or Thursday evenings. The transcript of the Q&A is available online if you miss the Q&A. I also keep weekly online 'office hours' via skype.

4 comments:

Angela S. said...

My question is regarding the work load for the course. How much time per week on average do you think I will need to dedicate to course work?

Amanda said...

You will need to put aside the two hours/week that you would have spent in class if this were an on-site course. Judging from comments from past students, you will need another hour or so for homework. Grading is based on three minor assignments and one major assignment. Does this help?

Angela S. said...

I have not heard from Concordia regarding confirmation of my registration, although I did see the fee on my last credit card statement. How do we proceed with the first online class? Access to course materials?
Thanks!

Amanda said...

Hi Angela,

I've passed your message along to Concordia. I believe they usually send out some sort of correspondence to new students explaining how to access the course. I do see your name in my student list, so you are registered. If you don't hear from Concordia within the next 48 hours please contact me again.

I'm looking forward to having you in the class.

Amanda